My Night at the British Soap Awards


Glitz, glam, and more Soap stars than you can shake a stick at. The British Soap Awards were once again welcomed by Salford’s The Lowry theatre two weeks ago, a night full to the brim of Soap’s finest.

I’ve always loved awards shows and the Soap Awards is an event I’ve always wanted to attend, and one that I will certainly be returning to. Dressed up in our finery (I wore a glittery top; I was going all in), we filed into The Lowry and into the auditorium. As we took our seats, the cast of Coronation Street among the others began to descend.

At this point I was already so excited I was on the verge of shedding happy tears; perhaps two glasses of rosĂ© didn’t help there. Obviously I was there to support Corrie but it was great seeing all these strangers around me being so passionate about their retrospective Soaps.

After a prompt game of ‘Spot the Star’, Phillip Schofield appeared to get the audience riled up in a touching yet enigmatic tribute to Martyn Hett. All of a sudden, it was time to get the show started. Corrie won the first award of the night of Best Single Episode, going to Aidan’s suicide and the aftermath.


It was an excellent night for Coronation Street; taking home five awards in total. The highlight of the night for me has to be Sue Nicholls receiving the Outstanding Achievement Award. Whilst listening to her joyous acceptance speech, it didn’t take long at all for every person in that theatre to realise what a treasure Sue really is. A dedicated and hard-working woman who has made Audrey Roberts all that she is over the past forty years. She even had a video message from Sir Ian McKellen himself who played Mel Hutchwright!

I also had a lump in my throat after Corrie won an award for ‘Gail’s monologue’, a scene which takes my breath away no matter how many times I watch it. Beautifully acted, beautifully written. This scene is an exceptional example showing that a Soap isn’t just a telly programme that you pop on while you eat your tea. It’s something that has the power to connect with every single viewer in one way or another.

It was a wonderful feeling being sat in that theatre, surrounded by people who have all come together for an evening to celebrate Soap Operas. A night of nothing but positivity and joy with adrenaline surging through the air.

Sophie Williams

Read some more of my general natterings on Twitter @sophie_jw26

Comments