Gunpowder Gore


A couple of weeks ago, the explosive new drama, Gunpowder, took the nation by storm, whilst diving opinions at the same time.

Featuring Kit Harington, Gunpowder follows the historical story of Robert Catesby and the infamous gunpowder plot of the 17th Century. As a self-proclaimed lover of period dramas, I was looking forward to this one. With a big-name cast of Kit Harington, Mark Gatiss, and Liv Tyler, with high budget costume and set, there wasn't much that I thought I wouldn't enjoy.

And I'm not the only one who thought this. There was a lot of hype surrounding Gunpowder, probably mainly from Game of Thrones fans who wanted to see Jon Snow exact revenge against the King of England.

As the first episode began, it was going quite well. With suspense having you edging closer to the edge of your seat even within the first scene, I was thinking that this a programme I could get on board with. However, there was a particular part that really raised a few eyebrows.

We watched on with horror as an elderly woman was tortured to death in front of our eyes, before a young priest was hung, drawn and quartered. This is where the divide of opinion comes in. For me, it was too much. It was extremely graphic and I had to look away while this was all going on.

Although, there is a large following of people defending the scenes. A portion of the viewers do have a valid point that this is historical fact and praised BBC for not sugar-coating it. While I do agree that yes it is historical, times have changed and modern society is not accustomed to this sort of thing. I wasn't offended by the scenes, but I feel the level of detail shown was a little unnecessary.

What do you think about the level of gore shown in Gunpowder? Was it necessary or should it have been toned down?

Sophie Williams
Twitter: @sophie_jw26

Comments