Versailles Returns!


Ever since I finished watching the hit BBC2 historical drama, Versailles, back in March, I've been counting down the days since Season 2. I was late to the party with this one and no one told me what I was missing out on! Ever since I watched even the first episode I was hooked, desperate to do nothing for the next week to finish it as quickly as I could (read my reaction to Season One here.)  If you haven't seen it then I strongly suggest it is the next thing you binge on, and beware because the rest of this post will contain spoilers.

Full of suspense and heartbreak, Versailles takes you through an emotional journey following the struggles and triumphs of King Louis XIV of France. The last season focused on the Nobles rebelling against Louis and the deterioration of his Court and personal relationships. Louis gained lovers and lost lovers. The relationship with his brother, Philippe, hit rock bottom. Poison swept across the palace and took hold of those Louis cared for the most. So what do you need to know for Season 2?


The passing of Henriette hit the Court hard. Throughout the entire season, Philippe and Louis were in constant battle, fighting for the affections of Philippe's wife. The womaniser King truly loved the Princess, probably devastated that she married his brother rather than himself. However, Philippe also loved Henriette deeply, but not in the way he needed to. Philippe was also in a relationship with le Chavalier, who was the captor of Philippe's heart and soul. The death of Henriette will no doubt cause ructions within the palace in the next season, with the matter of Louis' broken heart and Philippe's duty to re-marry to deal with.

So far, Lord Rohan has done a grand job persuading everyone that he is a friend of the King. Not just a friend, but Louis' dearest childhood friend; one of the few people Louis actually trusts. But we know that Lord Rohan is not to be trusted, especially with Louis' son of all people. Honestly, how they let this guy take the kid hunting alone is beyond me. With the new season being set a few years ahead, I'm intrigued to know what happened.


And last but not least, I'm excited to know what happened to Philippe. It's no secret that he's my favourite character (come on, I'm sure lots of you agree) and the last we saw of him was marching straight out of Versailles with le Chevalier in tow. With no wife, Philippe had no obligation to remain at the palace and was sick of Louis acting like a King, rather than a brother to him. But how has life treated the Prince? Does he still have le Chevalier by his side? Is he in search of a new wife? Will he return to Versailles?

So that's what I'm looking forward to in the new season and with it starting tonight at 9:30pm on BBC2, I'm sure many of these questions will be answered.

Written by @sophie_jw26 


Comments